Erie Co. Sheriff’s Office Halloween Tips For A Safe & Healthy Evening.
Erie County Sheriff Timothy B. Howard encourages parents to be mindful of their community and COVID guidelines as well as the potential hazards of Trick or Treating.
Sheriff Howard asks parents and guardians to review these useful yet straight forward safety tips with their trick-or-treaters to ensure the evening is fun and memorable for all of the right reasons.
To keep Halloween fun and safe for our children:
· Check with your municipality for the hours of trick-or-treating;
· Map out your route and check Offender Watch or NYS Sex Offender Registry for registered sex offenders in the neighborhood you plan to visit at
o Offender Watch - https://www.communitynotification.com/cap_main.php?office=54107
o NYS Sex Offender Registry - https://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/nsor/index.htm
· Inspect all treats at home; throw away unwrapped, open, or suspicious looking goodies.
Costumes with light colors and reflective tape are best. Someone in the group should carry a flashlight. Consider putting reflective tape on their bags too;
Carry a cell phone for quick communication;
Instruct children to only stop at familiar homes and where the outside lights are on;
Do not enter a home or car to collect treats.
· Follow all COVID-19 guidelines;
· Wear a protective mask under the costume’s mask;
· Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds when you get home and before you eat any treats;
· Check CDC Halloween guidelines at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays/halloween.html