Candle Fire Quickly Extinguished by Deputy
Erie County Sheriff Timothy B. Howard reports Deputies responded to a residential fire on Springville Boston Road in the Town of Concord just before 5 P.M. on August 3. When the Deputies arrived, a baby sitter and a 2-year-old child exited the dwelling and were waiting near the road. The guardian explained that all persons were out of the structure, but there was a puppy and two cats known to be inside. Deputy Grube entered through a basement access door and climbed a staircase to the kitchen. As a layer of smoke, about three feet thick began collecting at the ceiling, the Deputy located the room from where the smoke was originating. The Deputy entered the bathroom and observed a fire approximately eighteen inches in diameter and about six inches high next to a bath tub. The Deputy used three bowls of water to extinguish the fire and waited for fire personnel to clear the remained of the house. East Concord Fire personnel discovered a puppy inside the dwelling and removed it to safety; the puppy was unharmed. Later, emergency personnel discovered the cats escaped the house on their own. The cause of the fire is believed to be from a candle that may have reignited and spread to some plastic toys. The fire was contained to the bathroom, and there was no estimate of damages.